08 May 2013

Wings: Flaps. Brackets riveted to ribs.

Section 15 is done!  Picked up an inexpensive torque wrench from Harbor Freight to complete the last page in Section 13, page 13-05 (bolting the aileron bellcrank brackets).  I generally avoid Harbor as a source of tools since it seems like many things there are sub-par, but the feedback on the 'net was quite positive about this wrench.

Snap bushings are installed on the ribs.  Turns out I put in an extra 1/2" hole in rib #9 (from inboard) on the right side.  No big deal.

Each of the 4 flap brackets and their doublers are riveted to the associated ribs (#3 and #8).  I was able to squeeze five of them (the ones with the lines on their heads).  The rest had to be banged out with the 2x gun.  I used 90 psi on these -4 rivets.

This is the #8 rib on the left side.  You can see the Stewart System's EkoPoxy/EkoPrime.  It appears to hold up well.


2 comments:

  1. "E" since that is the #8 rib (outboard) the two holes in the top of the bracket should have dimples for the wing skin, should it not? The #3 bracket is under the wing walk and does not get dimpled. Just an observation, not a criticism. Thank you for putting together such a comprehensive website. I'm about 1 year behind you and use this site weekly before I start a new step. Thanks!!!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom. Thanks so much for the kind words.

      You made a very astute observation as the holes you refer to do indeed need to be dimpled. I didn't remember dimpling these, so I whipped out my borescope to check and apparently I did dimple them at some point, thankfully!

      Please do continue to observe *and* criticize. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's being wrong!

      Good luck with your build and let me know how things go for you.

      Delete