06 July 2013

Wings: Leading edges. Landing light cutouts deburred, J-stiffener cut.

Nearly 7 hours of work today on the outboard leading edges.  I stole some clecos from the left wing top skins (don't worry, I returned them to myself).  Today was just match drilling the aft rib holes and the J-stiffener.  Then lots of deburring and finally dimpling the J-stiffener.

The landing light cutouts were done at the factory, but the cut appears to be a series of short linear ones in subsequently greater angles, so careful deburring to smooth it out is necessary here.  2" inch Scotch-Brite wheel to the rescue, followed by finishing with 400 grit.  The left image shows an edge prior to deburring whilst the right shows afterwards. 


You can see below that the top edges of the cutout are nice and smooth, whilst the bottoms are not just yet.

Here are the leading edges, left and right, respectively.  You'll notice that on the right leading edge, the J-stiffener is sticking out of the outboard side.  That's because I didn't like the 59 3/8" length the plans called out for.  It was too short - the last rivet hole was too close to the edge.  So, seeing as how I had extra J-stiffener around, I decided to try again and match drill prior to cutting.  Then, I could determine the length after lining it up with the last rib (so it wouldn't interfere with the wingtip) and make the cut properly.



I continue to wait for the #10 jobber for the stall warner hole.  I also tried to setup dimpling the skins on the floor, but it's too difficult on my body, especially after working 7 hours on the floor today.  I'll have to find some other place to dimple the skins until those wings get off my workbenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment