19 August 2013

Wings: Leading edges. Leading edges attached.

Here is the left leading edge going on.  I had some help here as things were balanced on the couch.


Turns out nearly all of the rib-to-spar rivets are LP4-3 blind because it's impractical to buck them.  However, the inboard-most rib's spar rivets are AN470AD4-5 so they must be bucked (circled below).  But, they're very difficult to reach with the rivet set.  I used a double offset rivet set to reach the manufactured heads, but I kept mashing up the heads with the kind of smile that would make an orthodontist close up shop.  So after replacing those rivets, the left ones aren't as nice as they ought to be and I have yet to do the right side until I can investigate alternative methods.  I'm considering CR3213-4-3 Cherry Max.  Update 5-Dec-15:  I did not use the Cherries.  The difficulty I had with setting these AD470 rivets was that the offset rivet set kept spinning in the gun.  I've since learned to use duct tape to prevent the set from spinning and to increase the air pressure to accommodate the set's flexion.


The wings in their cradle in the entryway.


The wings parked behind the couch until I can get a house with a garage some day (which happened on 29-Mar-15).


To mitigate damage, I'm keeping the landing light lenses, stall-warner and tie-downs off until the wings are more complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment