15 August 2013

Wings: Fuel tanks. Right fuel tank ribs fay sealed.

I decided to redo my fuel tanks.  See here for why.  The entries specific to the redone tanks are here.

Right tank fibs are fay sealed in anticipation of riveting tomorrow evening with the help of an RV-9A builder.  I figured it was good to build the other tank built with two people in case my solo approach introduced an inherent incipient failure mode.

First I slather the sealant on the rib flanges.  Then each rib goes into the skin with just the bottom-forward most hole held with a cleco.  After putting in all ribs the same way, I put in a cleco on the top-most forward hole, then progress aft, alternating top-and-bottom.  This makes sure the skin folds around the ribs properly and I don't have to finaggle the holes to line up.  Wish I did that on the leading edges (I entirely cleco'd the bottom first, then did the top)!

 

Today marks the 300 hour crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment