04 November 2013

Wings/Lighting: Wing tips. Nav/strobe mounting holes cut.

Here are the posts pertaining to nav-strobe lights.
I'm jumping around the plans due to logistical/replacements/tool delays in other sections.  Today was my first experience with Fiberglass.  Turns out it's like butter to the drill bits.  

I made the holes for the nav/strobe light mounts using the paper template.  As always, I check to make sure templates are printed to scale.  If not, I'll rescale.  Turns out, these were printed properly.

First I taped the template to the left tip.  I placed the bracket on to make sure its length axis lined up with the chord of the wing tip.  Some minor adjustments were necessary to get a nice alignment.


Then just drill out the holes and clean them up.  A simple file was needed to finish the wire chase holes.  Left image is the outside face whilst right is the inside face.


Left bracket installed.


The right side is, as nearly always the case, a repeat of the left.


However the right bracket in my kit is defective.  One of the legs is cut at an angle so the holes don't align to the drilling template.  If you look closely below, you can see that the top leg is angled inwards towards the bottom leg.  That's no good.  Will need to get that replaced.  It's also evident in the left picture above, perhaps moreso with the template holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment