28 May 2014

Fuselage: Rough dimensions.

Turns out I probably won't have have more space to use for the build until mid-to-late next year.  Building the fuselage could be a stretch in the limited confines available to me now.  For a "feasibility study" I needed to get a handle on the approximate dimensions.

I did some simple ratio analysis on the plan views that Van's provides.  Knowing that the cockpit width is 46" at its widest part (and assuming drawings are to scale), I could easily calculate approximate heights from the gear leg attach point to both the top of the roll bar and to where the canopy meets the fuse body (both "local maxima" dimensions) as well as the length.  See image below.

With the roll bar installed, the fuse maxes out at approximately 81"x46"x44" (canopy comes in the finishing kit).  Without the roll bar it's approximately 81"x46"x32".  So, I think I can continue working on the fuse (even if those numbers are a few inches under actual dimensions) if I don't install the roll bar.  I can tip the fuse on its side to walk it out the front door.  I'll have to use my living room, which already has the wings.  I will "just" need to move the couch and other furniture up to the guest room.  But it can be done in the spirit of not wasting time.


No comments:

Post a Comment