01 July 2014

Empennage: Elevator. Trailing edge squeezer dies.

The trailing edge on the elevators in the -14 has a unique shape (internet lore suggests it was to match the flying feel of the Van's fleet).  It's an obtuse angle, forming a trailing edge that increases in thickness as you move aft (in contradistinction to a typical trailing edge wedge that converges to an apex).  This shape makes riveting the edge difficult as you have to support the elevator properly against the back-riveting plate or you risk marring the skins with the gun.


Several folks have reported successfully grinding down dimple dies to match the angle and then using the squeezer.  Avery Tools has manufactured application specific dies for the -14's elevator trailing edges.  I decided to give them a try as I didn't like how my left elevator trailing edge turned out (my trim tab's trailing edge turned out fine, but that's because I let my -9A friend do it for me - should have let him do the rest of the left side too!).  The safety pin contraption prevents the dies from rotating in the squeezer.  This keeps the surface of the dies oriented properly so they conform to the angle of the trailing edge.


When using these special dies, occasionally the skins would separate from the trailing edge wedge.  I couldn't determine why, but I was able to fix it just about every time it occurred.  Overall, I'm okay with how things turned out.


The image above seems to show the manufactured heads of the rivets somewhat proud.  It's an illusion perpetrated by the blue protective plastic covering.

I stopped using the tape as the plans suggest for adhering the trailing edges.  I used the tried-and-true method of sealant application on the elevators.

Now the elevators sit awaiting the rolling of their leading edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment