10 November 2015

Fuselage. Flap actuation system. Done.

This was an interesting section for me.  First, back in Section 32, when I placed the flap UHMW bushings, I foolishly fully torqued the bolts holding them in place, contrary to the explicit instructions in the plans.  


This caused the parts to distort, making it very hard for me to get the CS-00010 flap torque arms in place.  In fact, I had to use a hobby knife and strategic manipulation of the torque arms to get them into the bushings, culminating in this fine sight.


I eventually realized what I had done wrong and purchased new bushings, not looking forward to having to remove the originals since the baggage floors were already down.  Plus, I originally used lithium grease rather than Aeroshell #5 wheel bearing grease called for in the plans.

It turns out that it was relative easy to replace the bushings with some kinesthetic contortions and the help of a generous friend.  Here the left torque arm sits, happily in its replacement bushing, properly greased (sorry, didn't take images prior to putting in the torque arms).


I was also dreading having to cut the hole in the linear actuator shaft.  I didn't want to screw it up and it seemed like a step easily done wrong.  


So I hemmed and hawed over it for a month then finally just sat down to do it.  Following the approach given in the plans,  I think it came out nice.  I did break one drill bit, but in anticipation of that eventuality, I had purchased extra 1/16" bits.  I also put the hole clocked 90° in the wrong direction.  But it's a non-issue.  The safety wire is placed to prevent rotation of the actuator shaft, should the jam nut get loose.  That objective is still accomplished with my rotated hole.


Here is the actuator in place.  Without safety wire (left) and with (right).  I have yet to place the cotter pin in the images


No comments:

Post a Comment