28 July 2016

Avionics: LEMO connectors installed.

I see no need for standard headset jacks in my aircraft.  LEMO connectors provide both ship's power for ANR and a single connection point.  Additionally, the connectors lock into the socket (though that also introduces risk of breakage should one accidentally egress the aircraft whilst still donning one's headset).

I slapped together some images to show the pinout of LEMO connectors, shown below.


The PTG.M0.6NL.LC65N LEMO connectors require a 9/16" hole, which is a bit larger than the audio hole provided in the F-01447-L/R baggage floors. It's a tight fit in there for a unibit to upsize the headset hole.  I found a 1/4" drive unibit set on Amazon for the purpose.

 My drill just fit.


Here are the power, audio and mic wires from the airframe ready for connector assembly.  I left these wires nearly 2 feet longer than necessary to provide adequate slack for any later work I might need to perform on them.  This is why you see them outside of the airframe.


I opted to use some small 6-pin Molex connectors so that if the LEMO connector breaks, it can be easily removed and replaced.  These Molex connectors can be found here and here (required pins are also on those pages).


Looking in to those connectors, I configured them with the pinouts outlined below.


Here is the pilot side Molex connector.


The LEMO side Molex connector connected to the airframe wiring for testing. 


The pilot side LEMO installed.  The mic jack hole on each side will remain open and unused.  I'll probably close them off with a nylon washer lest any cookie crumbs fall down them.


A non-LEMO headset plugged in using an adapter.


No comments:

Post a Comment