07 May 2013

Wings: Ribs. Prime rib.

2 hours later, all ribs are cleaned and etched, including all the smaller parts like brackets and so forth.  I decided to use Stewart Systems' offerings, including EkoClean, EkoEtch and EkoPoxy/EkoPrime.  Getting these guys to dry is a challenge, so here they sit, under the ceiling fan (pardon the wing tips, that's the best place to store them until they're needed).


Here's the priming extravaganza.  I practiced with the spray gun using water.  I tried to calibrate the air pressure, air volume and fluid volume.  I knew this was going to be a learning experience.  I wasn't sure how much to spray on the parts.  The instructions call for 3 mil.  How to measure that?  I don't know.  Thus, I sprayed enough so it appears that the metal is covered.  Sometimes I sprayed too much.  Sometimes too little.  The latter was easy to fix.  If the former is too bad, I can sand it down.  EkoPoxy dries slowly, so you can't turn over parts to prime the other side.  That was a challenge.  Overall, it took 2.5 hours to prime the ribs and the other parts from Sections 11 and 12.


It's probably fair to say that each rib will have received at least 1.5 hours of work associated with it prior to riveting on the spar.  28 ribs=42 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment