17 November 2016

Empennage: Empennage fairings.

These steps had to wait two years until I had the space to complete them.  The attachment of the empennage is found here.

My friend completed the horizontal stabilizer fairings.  He chose to recess the aft faces since he had issues with the ones on his RV-9A contacting the elevator counterbalance skin.


If I later find that I prefer it flush, I can change it.  Van's demonstrator, N214VA, has them flush, as shown on an image from when I visited Van's on 7-Aug-14.


The rudder fairing is easily attached and match drilled.


The R-00911B Rudder Fairing Doubler (for the tail strobe) is placed, then match drilled (left).  The cutout for the light is then created (center and right).  You can see that the fairing biases to the left (free trim tab?) so I'll need to file it down on the left side and add some material on the right.


The F-01496 Empennage Fairing is attached (left) and blind drilled (right).


The nutplate holes are created in the inboard edges of the horizontal stabilizer and bottom of the vertical stabilizer.


And now I could step back and see the full tail.  Following admiration, then subsequent vocalization of airplane noises, the tail was removed and will be stored until the aircraft is moved to a hangar.  Because the horizontal stabilizer is wider than the car lanes between my house and the airport, it's foolish to transport the aircraft with the tail attached.


Though the vertical stabilizer fairing is visible and complete, I've not yet attached it.  I am still deciding on where to place my Comant CI-158C-2 VOR/LOC/GS antenna for the GTN 650.  I may perch the antenna atop the vertical stab.  Update 18-May-17:  I opted not to use the Comant "cat whiskers" antenna as it proved difficult to install properly.  I ultimately went with an Archer VOR antenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment