14 November 2016

Empennage: Aft empennage. Match drilling vertical stabilizer.

The last step remaining for me to complete in Section 10 was the match drilling of the vertical stabilizer to the aft bulkhead.  I waited until I was ready to complete Section 11 to do this step, meaning it was delayed by 2 years.  I just needed more space.

Per the plans, it is critical to drill these holes perpendicular to the surface.  A friend of mine created for me a UHMW piece to aid in that process.  It keeps the bit trajectory true.  A well cut piece of wood with a hole drilled on a press would achieve the same result.


Once the holes are drilled, the stab can stand proud to negotiate the slipstream.


The above image also shows that the airframe has been moved to the other side of the garage.  This gives space to fully mount the tail to complete Sections 11 and 12 as well as mounting the engine and prop.

No comments:

Post a Comment