20 January 2015

Fuselage: Forward mid fuselage bulkheads. Bearing bracket assembly miscut.

As I was assembling the right bearing bracket assembly, I saw that the F-01450-L bracket (top bracket in images below) didn't have its aft edge properly cut.  You can see below that it doesn't match the -R part when cleco'd together.  This is an important assembly as it defines the control column travel limits, as seen below from page 36-13.




Van's said "It is fine.  It would make no difference, if you get a new/another one."  So they opted not to replace the part for me.  Whilst they may be right that it wouldn't matter, I am not comfortable with the defective -L part at such a critical location in the aircraft, so I shelled out the $8.79, shipped, for the replacement.

This is what well-cut parts should look like.  This is the right side bearing bracket assembly after replacement.


Note:  DO NOT use a #12 bit when a #19 is called for when match drilling the bearing bracket assembly to the cover rib.  I got to redo the right assembly for a third time!  Based on advice from a fellow builder, I now have a set of drill guides to verify I have the right bit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment