28 July 2016

Avionics: Control column harness.

Assembling the control column harnesses was relatively easy.  A run of a 48" set of wires was encased in 1/8" PET Expandable Braided Sleeving.  The sleeving was important for two reasons:  1) to reduce wear on the wires as the CS-00007 Control Stick Bases move and 2) to make fishing the harness through the absurdly tight space between the F-01451-L/R Tunnel Sides and F-01438-L/R Cover Ribs (shown below).  It was also a great time to make the communications coax.


Below is how I wired my Tosten CS-8 sticks.  Circles indicate wire colors from each pin. The color of the rectangles indicate the color of the wires coming from the sticks.  Though I don't have roll trim installed in the airframe, I accommodated that option in my wiring should I chose to install it later.


The harness and communications coax are ready for installation.  The coax has a BNC on only one end for now.  The BNC for the other end is affixed after the coax is routed. 


My vehicle trim panel removers were used to nudge the cables into the bushings.


Success!

Control Column Bases connector, a Molex 0430201200 using pins 0430310001.  I had to file off the powder coating to get these to fit in.  I'm still fidgeting with how best to fasten the harnesses to the stick bases to accommodate stick movement.


Stick connector, a Molex 0430251200 using pins 0430300001, as wired.


Testing of the stick buttons comfirmed proper wiring as all panel components and the relay deck operated as desired.

Here's the legend for the buttons.  Since it will be affixed to the interior (painted on 20-Sep-15), I used the same coloring as the legend's background so it will match properly.  If you would like to use and modify this legend for yourself, you can find it here as a PowerPoint file.  The g


I also made this legend, but ultimately decided I didn't like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment