18 July 2018

Modification: Canopy lock.

When I bought my ignition switch, I got the one with the lock set.  My plan was to drill through the F-01470-L Fuselage Side Skin similar to what other folks do.  But, I eventually balked at that as there is a definite...finality...to that approach that I couldn't stomach.


Instead, I thought I could fit a padlock through the C-609 Canopy Latch and C-607 Latch Handle.  Below gives an idea of the available dimensions for the purpose.


Center-to-center, at the outboard edges of the Canopy Latch and Latch Handle, the two parts are 3/4" apart.  So I needed a lock with the same center-to-center shackle width.  The Master 4130 fit the bill.  Dimensions are A:3/16", B:9/16", C:9/16" with a width of 9/8", which gives that 3/4" center-to-center spacing I needed.  Although the shackle diameter is larger than I wanted, it will work.


A #11 (0.191") hole was drilled into the C-106 part and a 7/32" (0.219") hole was drilled into the C-107 part.  One hole has to be larger to accommodate the curvature of the shackle during insertion.


The lock then fits in very snug.  It cannot move even on a windy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment