21 July 2018

Operational: Rudder gust lock.

I fashioned a quick and inexpensive rudder gust lock.  It's slightly different than other similar designs I've seen:  Rather than using an extension that secures the gust lock in place, mine is lodged into place between the F-01435 Cover Base and F-01483 Forward Bottom Skin.

The gust lock stays in place, even when manipulating the rudder rather authoritatively.  The aft tee is the key to keeping the whole contraption lodged in place.  There is some flex when the rudder is providing a lot of force.  If that becomes a problem, a thick dowel inserted into the pipe(s) would help alleviate that issue. 

It's important to place the aft tee where a F-01438 Cover Rib is located to provide something rigid for the gust lock to be pushed into when the rudder is moving.  Otherwise the Cover Base is at risk of being bent.


I use one on each side, in case either dislodges or fails.

Parts list from Lowe's for one gust lock:
My total cost for a pair:  $15.40.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. Do you use anything for the control stick to lock the aelerons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I use the rudder lock if it's going to be gusty when I'm refueling, briefly stopping or pulling the airplane in/out of hangar. If I'm overnighting or notice that the other control surfaces are moving a lot, I'll use Antisplat's "ultimate gust lock" if wrapping the harness around the stick doesn't seem sufficient.

    ReplyDelete