25 March 2018

Modification: Rear window sealing.

On 23-Mar-18 I had occasion to fly through rain for the first time.  I appreciated the free "plane wash" as the smudges on my windscreen faded away into the sky.  Thankfully, back on 16-Jan-17, when I installed the rear window, I sealed the joint between the rear  F-14126 Window and  F-01475 Aft Fuse Top Skin. 

But, twenty minutes following the rain, I had the plane back in the hangar.  I found that water had worked its way in-between the rear window and the roll over structure.  I decided to seal that area with siliconized latex caulking (which dries clear and is paint-friendly).  This is the same material I used to seal my antennas, as recommended by the EAA.
After the water evaporated (a quick process here in Colorado), I masked the area with tape.


Then deposited the caulking.


After smoothing it down with my finger, I pulled the tape then left the canopy open over night.


The next day, it was clear and did not interfere with the canopy when closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment