12 June 2020

Finish: Cowling. Reshaping.

As I think about painting and/or wrapping the plane in vinyl, I started to do some prep work on the cowl.  One item that needed to be done was fixing the misalignment on the front:  The top cowl half sits just a bit behind the bottom cowl half.


So I marked off the area that needed to be evened up, scuffed it and protected the areas around it, in prep for filling with epoxy.


I mixed up some epoxy with flox and cab-o-sil and applied the mixture, using peel-ply overlapping the bottom cowl, pulled tightly, to force conformation of the area to match the bottom cowl.


Following sanding, it didn't look too bad, but I still didn't like the shape, specifically how the top half's curve seemed a little off now.


So try #2 (I feel like everything I do on this plane takes two or three tries) shows my attempt at redoing the curve at the top.


Following sanding, it actually came out pretty good.


I then applied some Evercoat Easy Sand to fill the pin holes and even up the flat spots. Even though that layer is very thin, I don't know how smart that was because Easy Sand can break off under stress. We'll see how it does under the relentless onslaught of insects before I commit to it prior to painint/vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment