21 October 2013

Wings: Ailerons. Temporary assembly.

Ailerons were temporarily assembled to check for a straight noseskin.  Here is the left aileron with top skin on.


Checking for noseskin bowing, left and right sides.  Didn't find any.  Note, the ruler on the right side is misaligned on the outboard edge in the image.


Right aileron, top and bottom sides.  Trailing edge wedge not yet cut to size.


Here's the tool I used to ensure the angle on the trailing edge wedge holes was perpendicular to the aileron's chord.  This was a design from the control surface practice project.  It's a small piece of wood with an 84 degree cut from the miter saw.  The length of the drill bit is rested on its surface to hold the angle.  On the left image, the astute will notice that I'm holding it incorrectly in the demonstration image (the proper 84 degree angle is marked on the piece as shown).  The right image is another posed one where I taped the tool to the skin for demonstrative purposes.


The inboard hinge bracket for the left side is the left image below.  It's countersunk to hold a AN509-10 screw.  The countersink is fairly well centered though I need to go deeper into the doubler.  However, look at how poorly I did the right side.  The bit chattered and really elongated not just the hole, but the countersink too.  I didn't catch that before riveting this pieces to the inboard rib.  I have to redo it.  It's too critical a part.  Update 30-Dec-14:  I was looking at this post and realized that the countersinks in the below pictures should go through the hinge and its doubler, which clearly they are not.  The ailerons are mounted now and I can't immediately determine if I caught this error prior to then.  I made a note for myself to check this when I remove the ailerons later.


Removal of the inboard hinge bracket from the right aileron wasn't something I was looking forward to as a mistake would mess up the whole inboard rib which could cascade into a messed up top skin.  However, I was able to remove the four AN426AD4-4 rivets holding the bracket to the rib without trouble.  Here are the removed shop ends. 



No comments:

Post a Comment