04 November 2013

Wings: Wing tips. Lenses rough cut.

The wing tip lenses have been rough cut.  They start out as an oversized, single piece of plastic that needs to be cut in half.  The Dremel with a reinforced cut-off wheel ate right through it.  Wearing a respirator is a good plan.  The fumes generated probably are not compatible with life.


Turns out the lenses have to be rotated/translated to find where along their curvature they best conform to that of the tips'.  Here I've drawn lines to cut much less than what appears to be necessary.  I did this since I wanted to be sure I didn't cut down too much and then end up with poor fitment.


With the first cut done, it was time to realign to match the curvature better, then go in for a closer cut line.  At this point, I switched to using my tin snips rather than the Dremel.  The former is a less toxic approach and gives me great cutting control.


Here's where I stopped for both wing tips until I can figure out a way to get nice clean, straight cuts to fit the bevel of the tips.


And the collection of scrap from the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment