31 December 2014

Fuselage: Multiple sections. Priming.

The weather here has been brutally chilly with abundant snow, making the outdoors cleaning and etching process impractical.  So I was resigned to cruise far forward into the plans to prepare parts for later priming.  I had accumulated such a pile of aluminum that I decided to clean and etch the smaller parts in my kitchen sink after verifying the etchant does not discolor my sink and/or counter.

Everything laid out (the visible parts already primed needed a few touch-ups).


Primed.  As usual, I used my HVLP gun and two part epoxy primer.


Wow.  I believe I have quite the collection of primed parts.  This is directly a consequence of my running out of space in this tiny ~1,200 square foot house with a ~600 square foot basement, as I feverishly jump ahead in the plans getting as much as I can ready for later assembly.


My wings are in my living room, empennage on the couch, horizontal stabilizer in the kitchen, scrapped horiz stab and fuel tanks in the detached garage, and vertical stab and rudder are in the guestroom.  And there is still a pile of prepped aluminum in the hallway ready for priming.  If all goes according to plan, I'll have a real garage to continue building in March.  For now, I'm fairly limited in how much further I can go.  Definitely not the fuselage side structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment