02 July 2014

Wings: Fuel tanks redo. Old tanks dropped. Replacements mounted.

Because I'm redoing my fuel tanks, I'm really only posting progress reports rather than additional details.  See here for why I'm redoing my tanks.  Technique details on the original fuel tanks are found in their associated posts.
It took 5 hours to remove the original tanks and mount the new ones.  I shudder at the thought of doing this with the wings bolted onto the fuselage (Update 4-Sep-17:  I ultimately had to do that...and shudder I did).  We (my -9A friend and I) took off the aileron pushrods to make things easier.  All bolts were replaced.  The exterior screws will be replaced after the wings are painted.

Here's the left wing without its tank.  Contrast the below with a similar image when the bottom skins were off.  Then contemplate how easy mounting the tanks were back then!


So now the old tanks live in the garage next to their scrapped horizontal stabilizer brother.  I am entertaining suggestions on what to do with these non-flightworthy parts.  Ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment