12 July 2014

Empennage: Aft fuselage. Riveting bellcrank to bulkhead.

As previously mentioned, the plans neglect to instruct you to rivet the bellcrank ribs to the forward bulkhead.  I didn't realize this until after the bottom skins were on the bellcrank ribs.  Too bad, because it would have been easy to do prior to then.  I was able to squeeze the middle rivet and buck the top rivet.  But the bottom rivet would require a double offset set which is akin to taking your life in your hands (see next paragraph).  So I used an LP4-3 on the left side.  Problem solved.


This is what happens when you use a double offset set in an awkward position.  I tried this on the right side (the view is looking forward from the right aft).  This rivet will need to be removed and replaced with an LP4-3. 


Here's what that looks like after removal.  Yuck.  I had to get a 12" #52 bit to use in conjunction with my 12" #40 and #30 bits.  You can see I wasn't centered on the manufactured head, but I didn't do much damage to the bulkhead hole as I went very shallow into the head.


For perspective, the rivet of interest is circled in red below.


No comments:

Post a Comment