25 May 2017

Wiring: Wing root wiring.

Because I chose to do all the wiring myself (to save money and to support my unique avionics setup as shown on my panel), I was responsible for determining my routing scheme.  As this post outlines, from 15-Aug-16, the wiring in my wings include support for a number of functions.  Here is my wiring map for the wings.


I needed a lot more wires than what the stock setup accommodates.
  • My optical low fuel level sensors and capacitive fuel senders needed to have their wires come from the front of the spar to the back. 
  • My landing lights require a lot of wires, as compared what the Van's suggested lights uses. 
  • Though I don't plan to install it, I wanted accommodations for electric roll trim should I decide to install it in the future.
  • The right wing autopilot roll servo needed an additional Molex connector added to the right wing's W-1029A-R Torque Tube Support Bracket because there wasn't enough space on the included W-1029D-R spacer.
Here is a picture showing the additional spacer I added to the right Torque Tube Support Bracket showing the Molex connector placed (upside down!), prior to final wiring.  I fabricated the spacer with some scrap and riveted it in to the Support Bracket with two rivets.


As noted above, the optical low fuel level sensors and capacitive fuel senders needed to have their wires come from the front of the spar to the back.  They cannot be routed through the spar as-is.  I could have drilled a hole in the webbing and passed them through a grommet from there, but I didn't want to mess with the structural integrity on a part as important as the spar.  So I routed the wires in the space between the T-00001-L/R Fuel Tank Skin and the spar web, as shown below.  I first injected sealant in the space, tucked the wires in, then locked them in place with a fillet of more sealant.  This approach will prevent the wires from moving and chaffing in that spot.

The left image shows the wires passing under the spar on the left wing.  The left image shows the wires from the optical low fuel level sensor and from the capacitive fuel sender just tacked to the tank rib with sealant on the right wing.


The final wiring setup on the right wing (top image) and left wing (bottom image).




No comments:

Post a Comment