16 June 2013

Wings: Top skins. Primed.

Following cleaning and etching, the underside of the top skins are now primed, as are the wing walk doublers and the various places on the main spar/ribs/rear spar assembly that needed little touch ups after minor collision with the bucking bar.  

This time I measured out almost exactly how much primer I needed.  The primer I'm using is a 3 part in 5:1:1 ratio.  I decided to go with 14 ounces, since that yields nice round numbers all around (10:2:2) and based on my previous experience, would get me full coverage plus a little left over.  I bought some syringes to measure everything out perfectly rather than eyeballing it like I've been doing.  I'm sure there's play on either side of the ratios to account for various sources of error.

I thoroughly cleaned the spray gun prior to and after this priming session to avoid the trouble I had before.

Putting on the first coat.


Final coat on.  When it dries, you can't see the strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment