14 July 2013

Wings: Top skins. Done!

It is with great satisfaction that I report the completion of Section 16.  The top skins are on (thanks to 4 generous volunteers for their generous help), complete with the outboard aileron brackets, inboard fairing nutplates and their screw hole countersinks.  Left wing and right wing, both right before completion of Section 16's last page:

 

 

There are 4 Rivets of Shame ("oops", or NAS1097ADx-x rivets) on the right wing and 10 (!) on the left.  In the case of the left, on the ribs corresponding to the wing-walk doubler, many rivets leaned over when struck with the rivet set.  It was extremely frustrating and caused me to cease riveting those ribs until it donned on me what the problem was:  The countersinks in the skins were slightly offset, so when those rivets were placed in their holes, it sat at a very slight angle, forcing the shank over when struck.  With the shop head malformed, in 4 cases, drilling out with a #30 was necessary for removal.  The other 6 were due to poor centering on removal.  I think the bit I've been using for removal is dull.  It's the best way I can explain the sudden change in my removal skills.

At this point, I can progress no further on the main wing structures, lest I wish to fly short trips in the limited confines of my basement only.  Leading edges, fuel thanks and control surfaces will all be made without attachment to the wing until I can move the structure upstairs (which was done 18-Aug-13).

No comments:

Post a Comment