09 May 2014

Wings: Fuel tanks redo. Stiffeners, cap and drain flanges fay sealed and riveted.

Because I'm redoing my fuel tanks, I'm really only posting progress reports rather than additional details.  See here for why I'm redoing my tanks.  Technique details on the original fuel tanks are found in their associated posts.
First off, the Semco gun rules!  It's fast, my forearms don't get blown and it's a lot cleaner to work with than my original syringe gun approach.  The Semco gun still has a slight after-discharge when the trigger is released, but it's manageable.

On the original tanks, I back-riveted the stiffeners.  This time I directly riveted them with the mushroom set and Mr. T.  This method is easier and I didn't feel like I gained much, if anything, in terms of aesthetics with the original tanks.

Mid-riveting process.


Left drain and cap flange rivets.


A completed stiffener.


Looking down the left and right tanks.  So far, they are so much cleaner than my original tanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment