24 May 2014

Empennage: Horizontal stabilizer redo. Inspar rib-to-cap rivets.

See here for why I'm redoing my horizontal stab.  I will only post new information relating to this part of the build.  If you're interested in my documentation on the original stab, see here for all of those posts.

The rivets holding the inspar ribs to the spar cap are called out in the plans as length -5.


Turns out, that length is just a bit too short (left).  And a -6 is just a bit too long (right).  Clearly a -5.5 would be best.  Not sure why I didn't notice this on the original stab I built.


However, that's not a standard length of AD4 rivets.  So I picked up a rivet cutter (left) and cut a few -7s down to -5.5 (right).  Six of the leafs corresponded to a -5.5 length cut.  I found you have to use a significantly longer rivet than what you're cutting down to, otherwise you get an inconsistent cut.  You can see that the rivet has certainly been sheared however the squeezing process leaves a perfect shop head.


So life is good for the forward stab.  It's ready for the skins.


No comments:

Post a Comment