23 November 2014

Fuselage: Mid fuselage lower structure. Dimpling center bottom skin.

After seeing this thread in VAF, I thought I'd share my approach in the hopes that it's useful.  

The F-01484 center bottom skin is quite large, as it represents one of the defining features of the RV-14:  Cabin width.  So dimpling the holes in the middle of this skin can be a challenge when the throat depth of the DRDT-2 is 22 5/16".  The hardest hole to reach is the one shown below.   The shortest distance to that middle hole is close to 22 9/16".  That's 1/4" too big for the DRDT-2.  Or is it?


Below is my skin following the dimpling of all holes except the center one.  NoteBreak the aft edge of the skin upwards, as called out on page 26-14, Figure 1 (see above), before dimpling is called for on page 26-11, step 6.  I didn't.  I wish I did.



To get to that middle hole, the distance from the edge of the skin to the hole must be somehow reduced by 1/4".  I found I was able to do this by aligning the "notch" in the skin with the DRDT-2's upper arm stand.  With the skin at this angle, this distance is reduced as much as it can be prior to bending the skin.  Here's a verbose description...

Keeping in mind that the distance from the base of the lower dimple die to the bottom of the DRDT-2 upper arm is exactly 3 1/4", then any deflection of the skin upwards in the throat using that space will bring that center hole further into the throat.  So, I pushed the edge of the skin into that upper corner.  It's almost enough to align the hole over the die, but not quite.  Finally, being careful not to permanently distort the skin, I pushed the skin firmly into the DRDT-2 (yes, the skin makes a sort of "pop" sound when you do this) and negotiated the male dimple die into the hole.  Confirming that the skin was flat around the die, the dimple was then applied.  

Following priming, here is the skin with the male dimple die in that hole.  You'll note that the skin is not being held by myself or any other additional artificial means besides the platforms, so with care, this can be done by one person (unfortunately, that's usually me).


A close-up of the approach.  Note the location of the skin's notch in the upper right of the image.  It aligns with the upper arm stand and is pushed upwards toward the upper arm.  Thus, the skin is not laying flat (except around the dimple die, which is important).


Finally, I looked at the Cleaveland and Avery C-frames, and they both claim a 22" throat depth.  So does the DRDT-2, but as I stated above, I found it's actually 22 5/16".  My guess is the technique described above would work for the other C-frames, but I can't be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment