28 April 2018

Maintenance: Oil change 2.

Second oil change at 35 hours.  The first was at 12.6 hours.  Everything with the oil, filter and screen were fine.  It's nice not to have any surprises with those.

I found a few tiny leaks in the oil return lines.  See below.  I snugged the hose clamps up a bit and will see how they look at the next oil change.


The starter released a bunch of grease onto the snorkel.  Below is where the bottom of the starter meets the snorkel.   I'll keep an eye on things.  Update 20-May-18:  The starter failed at 43 hours.


I found a tiny fuel leak on VA-168 Sender Mount at the F 1/8 Pipe Plug.  I disconnected the three items on that part of the sender and thoroughly cleaned out the Form-A-Gasket being very careful not to contaminate the fuel lines.  I reinstalled everything and instead used high temperature thread sealant suitable for fuel.


The FF-00076 Sniffle Line Bracket was again broken.  It broke before the first oil change too.  I guess it can't accommodate the twisting of the engine on start?  I replaced it again with a slightly different orientation.  I'm not convinced it's even needed.  Update 14-Nov-18: I fabricated a bracket from 4130 steel stock.  See my post outlining my first annual.


I replaced the Adel clamp holding the aft end of the sniffle line with a MS21919DG9 since the DG10 wasn't holding it tight enough to prevent leakage where the FF-00082A Sniffle Line hose and FF-000083 Sniffle Line Extension mate (maybe my flare wasn't a good one).  Below shows the area from page 49-18.


If you look closely, you can see that the original DG10 clamp is a bit loose.  The DG9 offers a tighter fit.

 
Here's what the leak causes on the U-01013B Wheel Fairing Rear (back of nose wheel fairing).

No comments:

Post a Comment