14 May 2018

Maintenance: Cowl and NACA plugs.

Custom cut cowl plugs are very expensive.  Bruce's Custom Covers sells a set for $145.  Van's says that their $59.95 plugs for the RV-6/7/8/9 will fit the the RV-14.  Aircraft Spruce sells a set of cut-to-fit universal plugs for $38.80.  One miserly fellow made his plugs out of some packing foam.

I snagged that universal kit from Spruce.  It came with way more foam than I needed.  So I decided to make NACA covers too.

First you make templates for each piece.  Then trace it on the foam and cut it with the band saw.


 Then you sand it down until you get the fit you want.


Attach the strap and flag, label them with your N-number and call it good.

 
I originally wanted to make NACA covers that would fit the profile of the vent.  But that was proving too difficult.  So I fashioned a 1" thick block and cut a slit in the middle to accept the skin.  The block then just slides into place with the slit accepting the skin, like a tab-and-slot on a cereal box.


I got a whole lot of foam left over.  My friend with an RV-9A will use this to make his plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment