12 November 2013

Wings: Wiring. Autopilot wiring.

The hole for the Molex connecter (WH-00077) in my W-823-AP Aileron Bellcrank Bracket was far too small for the connector (see image below from page 17-06 with the parts circled in red as well as the attached image that shows the misfit parts).  The connector could not be pushed in.  It would require filing down the hole some 1/4" so the connector can slide in and its clips engage.  So I tried to file it down rather than bother Van's for a replacement but foolishly opened the hole up too much so in the end I had to ask for a replacement.

 

But turns out I didn't need it since I opted to go for Grand Rapid Technologies' avionics and their autopilot system.

Earlier, when I was making the torque tube assembly brackets, I managed to reverse the W-1029D Spacers between the left and right side.  It's an easy mistake to make if you're not paying close attention to the plans since one side has a slightly larger aperture than the other. These fenestrations support Molex connectors for systems wiring.  So as my build sits, the left side bracket cannot support its Molex connector since the aperture is too big.  Also, as it turned out, I originally had to redo the right side bracket earlier this year given an error in my choice of rivet size, followed by overzealous rivet removal technique.  Thus, to fix this problem I simply used the scrapped right side bracket (which had the left spacer in it) and cut out only the aperture.  Then I riveted it on to the left bracket on the wing.  Now, it can support the Molex. Update 25-May-17:  Turns out, I didn't need to do that anyway.



For that little fix, I had to buy some AN470AD3-4 rivets (didn't want to countersink) and an appropriate squeezer set.


I soldered all crimps that I made and left the factory crimps as-is.

If you're curious what part numbers the Molex connectors are that come with the kit, here you go:
  • Right wing root autopilot

No comments:

Post a Comment