08 April 2017

Avionics: Canopy harness, switch and fan wiring.

The canopy harness has been created and installed.

First, I had to fish the canopy switch wire down the C-01409-L Aft Canopy Rail.  That took a few hours of frustration.  I used some safety wire (top left) and pushed it through the channel (top right).  Then got it through the hole on the forward side (bottom left) and used it to pull through the canopy switch wire (bottom right).



Rather than fish two wires (switch and GND), I grounded the switch to the screw holding the C-01424 Canopy Pin Block.


Then I installed the LED strip under the glareshield, making sure that it was centered along its length and that it was recessed far enough back.  I used the entire 35" length of the stip.  I did not cut it.


Next I installed the ES-00056 CPU Fans (defrost fans) and their wiring.  I wanted to preserve the connectors on the fans in case the latter needed to be replaced in the future.  So I bought some cheap floppy drive power cables off of eBay to connect to the fans.


Then I designed the harness.  The Molex connector on the airframe is shown on the left.  It accommodates the wires going to the 2 channel dimmer and provides power to the indicator stack, both from the fuse block.  It also accepts the canopy switch wire for the indicator and the power output from the panel's defrost switch.  Finally, it includes a jumper to provide ground to the fans.  The ground connection is taken from a nearby hole in the subpanel (this is one of only a very few grounds not take from the central ground block).

The Molex connector coming from the canopy is shown on the right.  It accommodates the wires coming from the LED strip, canopy switch and defrost fans.  It also does double duty and acts as a set of jumpers to distribute power and ground to the wires coming from the mating Molex.


Here is the installed canopy harness.



Underside of canopy showing the LED strip and defrost fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment