02 March 2013

Shop: First table construction.


Having no clue what I was doing, I decided to use a hand-pushed circular saw that I borrowed from a friend. My first cuts were far from straight, so the table surface was all kinds of warped and the table itself was mega-wobbly.  I devised a very time-consuming method to make straight cuts (clamping a 2x4 orthogonal to my cut, using the square to align it, and guiding the saw against that 2x4), but it was too late:  This table was not going to be level by any stretch.  That's okay, this table won't be a build surface.  It will be for the drill press, bench grinder and band saw.

Here is a great video that I learned a lot from with respect to building these.  I watched this a few times and even paused it during my own build.  And these guys had a build marathon.


8 hours, 10 minutes.  No  joke.  Took a while to learn how to use the countersink microstop and I did a lot of bit changing with the cordless drill.  I put the wood glue on a few members, but decided it wasn't going to add much, so I stopped using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment