09 February 2014

Empennage: Rudder. Stiffeners, ribs, spar and horn riveted.

I decided to redo my rudder due to the trailing edge.  Here is the post outlining the new rudder.

To get the stiffeners riveted on the rudder, you do a sort of "reverse peel", starting at the bottom and working your way to the top, pulling each aft stiffener rivet.  Then you pull the forward pair of stiffener rivets.  With the stiffeners locked together, it's a more solid feeling rudder than other models.


A few shots of how the pull rivets look.  Aft end.


Forward end.


Be careful to avoid this unfortunate problem.  Sand this to fit around around the horn's protrusion so it seats nicely before riveting.


At first we tried to buck the horn brace rivets with a tiny bucking bar stuffed inside.  After messing up the first rivet and drilling it out, thinking it was time for pop rivets, it donned on me that we could squeeze them with my longeron yoke.  Duh.  No problem.


Not shown in the above picture is the bottom, forward-most AN426AD3-4 rivet that holds the skin to the horn brace (in the above image, it would be the lowest cleco'd hole).  We could not fully squeeze it with any of the yokes I have.  Didn't seem feasible to buck it.  We left it about halfway squeezed.  I'm okay with leaving it as-is, but I'll put it on my squawk list so I can remember to keep it in my mind should I later find a way to do it or meet someone who has.

Here the rudder sits waiting for the trailing edge to be riveted.


No comments:

Post a Comment