03 February 2014

Shop: Bought a Semco sealant gun.

When I sealed my original fuel tanks (see here for why I'm redoing them), I used a $77 manual syringe gun (it's much cheaper on eBay, should have checked there first!).  It made things much easier than using Popsicle sticks and cotton swab stems.  However, it was hard on the forearm muscles and would continue to dispense after releasing the trigger.  Also, the 1 ounce syringes weren't realistically reusable, though at $0.62 each, that wasn't too much of an issue.


Turns out, one can find used Semco guns on eBay for much less than I bought my syringe gun for.  So, I picked up a used Semco model 250-A sealant gun for $30.  When done, I can probably turn around and sell this for what would essentially be a wash.


Mine comes with a 2.5 ounce container which is more than what I had with my syringe gun, so I'm thinking that I could buy a few 2.5 ounce cartridges and nozzles, fill them up with sealant as needed through the day and use them.  The next day I can easily pull the partially cured sealant out of the cartridges and reuse them.  I did something similar with the syringe gun to clean it.  Sealant does not stick to smooth plastic very well so it just peels off.

Stay tuned to this post to find out if Techon cartridges, plungers and nozzles work.  They're much cheaper than Semco's and look like they're the same shape.  Update 12-May-14:  I have verified that these do work with this gun.  Update 17-May-14:  And this elbow makes getting into crevices a breeze.

2 comments:

  1. E, what brand cartidges did you end up using? I only have found Techon at Aircraft Spruce (but they don't seem to have the tips) and Skygeek and they are all backordered. The Semco cartridges at A.S. are definitely more expensive.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom. I haven't tried what I purchased yet and I'm probably more than a month out to trying. However, I did a test fit without sealant and it looked fine. A fellow builder who bought the same Techon parts listed above just last week told me he started sealing his tank without issue and has a gun he bought from The Yard. My gun looks identical to those they sell, so I continue to be hopeful they'll be fine. Let me know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete