07 March 2016

Antennas: Garmin GTN-650 GPS antenna mounted.

The Garmin GTN-650 GPS/Nav/Comm uses the Garmin GA-35 GPS/WAAS antenna.  This antenna must be located on the airframe.  I opted to place it behind the F-14126 Window and on the right of the F-01475 Aft Fuse Top Skin to clear the F-14131 Upper Aft Fuse Rib and F-01475A Skin Doubler, as shown with the red circle from page 10-1.


First a doubler needed to be fabricated.  The doubler template can be found here.  I used aluminum from an RV-9 capacitive fuel plate I had as scrap.  


A hole is drilled into the Aft Fuse Top Skin (and let me tell you, that was psychologically hard to do).  The antenna is then located, centered and temporarily affixed.  I happened to have a spare, "previously-flown" GA-35 I used for this purpose, so as not to mar my new one.


The four screw holes are then carefully matched drilled into the Aft Fuse Top Skin.


The antenna can then live happily in its new home.  When I permanently attach mine, it will need to include antenna sealant.


Go here to see how this was finally installed on 18-Nov-16.

3 comments:

  1. Doubler template doesn't come up do you still have it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron. I've updated the link to instead point a saved copy of the file on Google Drive. It will work now.

    ReplyDelete