24 December 2013

Empennage: Rudder, vertical and horizontal stabilizers priming.

I decided to redo my rudder due to the trailing edge.  Here is the post outlining the new rudder.

When priming for the empennage, being a smaller portion of the aircraft as opposed to the wings, it makes sense to try to aggregate many parts together.  This helps minimize the amount of time spent cleaning, etching, spraying primer and on the wait for curing.  Thus, I jumped ahead to get many of the rudder and horizontal stabilizer match drilled, countersunk, etc. so they can be primed in the same batch as the vertical stabilizer parts.


Primed:  All vertical stabilizer parts.  Front horizontal spar, doubler and stringers.  Rudder ribs and spar.

I use Stewart Systems for priming.  Being water-based, it's far less toxic to use though I still wear my respirator.  The vast majority of aerosol doesn't get airborne.  It just falls and collects as dust.  Do not, however, use water-based primers for steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment