11 January 2016

Avionics/Panel: Purchased the glass of my glass cockpit.

The major, wallet crushing, retirement delaying pieces have been purchased.

The only panel item outstanding is the steam airspeed indicator.


For those of us working on our panels, I wonder if we are on the cusp of changing technology.  We may be the last group of people buying these classic and very expensive glass panel parts.  There are relatively inexpensive "ADS-B in" systems that also have integrated AHRS to use with an Android tablet or iPad.  I envision that experimental glass cockpits are going to be just a little box on the glareshield that is wirelessly connected to several consumer-grade tablets Velcro'd to the panel.  All for about $1.5k total.  "ADS-B out" solutions are also getting less expensive.  I really think we are the last people to spend $30k+ on our pretty panels.

The GRT components have yet to be shipped.  In the meantime, I've included pictures of the Garmin units to display what they come with as I had a hard time finding this information myself.

GMA 240 audio panel.


GTR 200  communications transceiver.  The large white roll of wire on the left is not part of the kit.  I purchased it from Spruce as the headset jacks in the -14 are placed behind the armrests, so the wires needed to be longer.


GTX 330 ES transponder.


GTN 650.  The GA 35 antenna was supposed to be included, however it was not.  I've contacted my supplier to resolve.


And for good measure, the SkyRadar-DX with remote antennas.

No comments:

Post a Comment