15 January 2017

Antennas: 1090 MHz ADS-B in antenna installed

My SkyRadar DX ADS-B provides ADS-B in on both 1090 MHz and 978 UAT, thus it needs two antennas.  Van's has a provision for a blade antenna on the right side of the airframe, behind the bulkhead (including another for ADS-B out on the tail).  I placed the SkyRadar's 978 MHz UAT antenna at that location, when I originally installed most of the antennas, since that antenna obviously should be downwards facing.

However, for the SkyRadar's 1090 MHz ADS-B in antenna, I spent a lot of time thinking about if I should put that blade on the top or bottom of the airframe.  There are good reasons to do both.  I actually wanted to put it on the top, however I couldn't stomach the aesthetics of a blade antenna sticking out on the top of the fuselage.  So I placed it on the bottom.

I printed out a template then carefully positioned it opposite the 978 MHz UAT in.  They both are about 1.25" from the inboard rivet lines.  This image is looking up at the bottom center of the fuselage.


I then got on my back and drilled the holes.  Aside from the headlamp I'm wearing, I'm not very visible in the image.  In fact, my friend, who's camping out in the baggage compartment (a.k.a., "economy seating"), is far more visible than I.


The antenna is then mounted.  You can see both of the SkyRadar ADS-B antennas in these shots, as well as the two comm antennas forward of the blades.




No comments:

Post a Comment