14 January 2017

FWF: Engine installation. Expansion plug removal.

When I build my airplane, I like to do many of the steps twice.  Well, not really.  It happens because I make a lot of mistakes.  And this one falls into that category.

The Lycoming IO-390 installation manual clearly states, on page 26 (Rev June 2009), "If a constant speed propeller is to be used, the expansion plug must be removed from the crankshaft."  I didn't do that when I originally placed the propeller.  So I had the pleasure of removing and reinstalling the propeller.  That's not a very difficult, nor time-consuming process.  It's merely a frustrating interstitial step that imposed itself due to my neglect.

Following removal of the propeller, the expansion plug is visible on the engine crankshaft.


After drilling a 3/16" hole in the center, the plug is beaten until its shape changes enough to pull it out.


A view down the crankshaft sans expansion plug.


No comments:

Post a Comment